Goji berry received a lot of attention lately. Some people call it wolfberry or simply goji, and it is available on just about any health food store. Celebrities and even dietitians are fans of this fruit. Let’s discuss the reason behind all this attention to this wonder berry.
Health Benefits of Dried Goji Berries
Like dried prunes, raisins, and other fruits, goji berries are full of antioxidants – a naturally occurring substance that helps the body to heal itself faster. They taste like a cross between cherry, tomato, and cranberry. Goji berries are naturally sweet, but not too overpowering. They grow naturally on cooler parts of Asia, including the Himalayan mountains.
There were some claims that goji berry lengthens life and cures cancer but nothing is conclusive. Let’s discuss the health benefits that some people experienced while eating some goji berries.
- Dried Goji Berries are High in Fiber
Dried goji berries are a good diet food because of its high fiber content. Fiber helps to flush out waste from the digestive.
2. Dried Goji Berries as Mild Diuretic
Like dried prunes, dried goji berries can act as a mild diuretic. This natural diuretic action helps to cleanse the kidneys, releasing toxins. Diuretics also prevent fluid retention, thus reducing high blood pressure.
3. Relieve Cravings for Sweets
Whenever you catch yourself craving for a chocolate chip cookie or candy, munch on some goji berries instead. This dried fruit curbs your cravings due to its naturally sweet taste. It is also nutritious and full of fiber, so this is the best snack for those with a sweet tooth.
4. Goji Berries for Weight Loss
Some people swear by how dried goji berries helped them with losing weight. It could be attributed to this fruit’s high fiber content. But be warned that not everybody’s the same. Your weight loss will depend on your metabolism, food intake, and health condition. If you will try some goji berries, do it in moderation. You can initially use dried goji berries as a replacement to your usual midday snack.
How to Use and Eat Dried Goji Berries
Goji Berries are one of the most convenient snacks out there. Since this is dried fruit, there’s no need to cook it. And owing to its dehydrated condition, they won’t turn rancid for months as long as you store them in an airtight container away from moisture. That said, stocking some packed of dried goji berries is a good idea if you don’t want to run out of some healthy snacks. Here’s how you can enjoy your dried goji berries at any time of the day:
- Eat your dried goji berry raw.
- Brew your goji berry in how water. Enjoy your tea, and as a bonus, you’ll also have some sweet berries to munch on later.
- Soak some goji berries in water and put in a juicer. Add a slice of lemon and a tablespoon of honey, and you’ll have a refreshing goji berry juice drink.
- Blend into your fruit smoothie. Goji berries work well with milk, protein powder, or bananas. Mix and experiment with various ingredients you have at home to find the taste that works best for you.
- Sprinkle some dried goji berries to your oatmeal or cereal. Make your cereal colorful by folding some goji berries to your breakfast bowl.
- Add your goji berries to your muffin batter. Mix and heat into the oven for some berry-flavored muffin on the go.
- Use on some savory–sweet recipes. You can use dried goji berries like how you use raisins for recipes. Use goji berries for salad dressing and some meat dishes in place of raisin.
- Fold some dried goji berries into your salsa or chili. You can also add some soaked goji berries into tomato sauces and frozen desserts like ice cream and yogurt.
Dried goji berries have a chewy texture like soft dried prunes. They should not be crispy and dark. Whenever buying your supply of dried goji berries, make sure that the label states that the product has no added sugars or preservatives. The best way to get your daily bite of dried goji berries is to buy a large packet then transfer it to small mason jars. Once stored properly, they’ll keep for a year. Be sure to buy your dried goji berries from a reputable store. Don’t buy dried goji berries unless it is fully sealed. And lastly, before engaging on a new diet, seek advice from your doctor.